Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Request

I remember walking into his office and sitting down to discuss some very important matters. I had been aggravated with some friends of mine because I felt like when we discussed the scriptures our conversations were just petty, not "Gospel-centered enough". (Yuck! I think back to that and my self-righteous demeanor of thinking I was better than these people because I saw myself as more ‘spiritual’.) I gave my argument and was ready to hear my thoughts confirmed and encouraged, but instead with one question out of Dr. McKinion’s mouth I was knocked off my high horse and on my face before the Lord, “So, but how are YOU loving them?”

Dr. McKinion has always been someone I’ve admired. He has a wealth of knowledge, but more so he understands that the Gospel isn’t about knowledge, but knowing Christ. During my seminary days, I enjoyed sitting under his teachings and the times when he and his wife would open their home to students. His family isn’t just involved with the seminary they truly invest in the lives that come in and out year after year.

So, when I was checking my facebook one day and saw a post from someone about Dr. McKinion’s 10-year old son being diagnosed with cancer my heart sank. I read Dr. McKinion’s “non-sugar coated” blog post about the course of events leading up to their finding out sweet Harrison had been diagnosed with leukemia and I just wept: for Harrison, for Steve, for Ginger, for Harrison’s siblings, Lachlan and Blakely.

Such a sweet family, who loves and trusts the Lord, and now even more so they are learning how to cling to Him in a new circumstance…a terrifying circumstance…a heart-wrenching circumstance.

Harrison was diagnosed on December 9, 2011 with Leukemia. Since then he has started chemo and they have had a roller-coaster of a scary ride. He has had brain clotting, seizures, a stroke, been rushed to the ER, been in ICU, gone through testing, treatment, and more testing. Dr. McKinion has been very open in his writing about the joys of good days, and the heart-ache of scares and bad news. And through all of this the Lord DAILY reminds me to lift Harrison, Steve, Ginger, Blakely, and Lachlan up in prayer.

Harrison came home this past week. He has continued treatment and is under great care of doctors who are doing what they can to prevent the clotting, the seizures, and bring about the day that Harrison will be in remission. But today upon reading an update from his dad the news came that the cancer is not responding to treatment. This a rare form and this devastating news.

So in writing this I am asking that you would join in earnestly praying with me for Harrison. Pray for his healing, for God, who created all things with a WORD to heal this cancer in Harrison. Pray for the McKinions as they go through this time as a family, pray for the doctors treating Harrison, and pray that God would take this situation and blow our minds as He works to bring glory to Himself in this. Please lift them up as often as you think of it, and I will pray that God will lay it on your heart and mind continually.

If you want more information Steve’s blog is a great place for that:
stevemckinion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment