Monday, August 15, 2011

The Final Countdown...

I have 6 days left...SIX days!
The thought of that is surreal, exciting, overwhelming, bitter-sweet, and a bit scary. I guess that's why it's 1:30 in the morning and I'm up writing instead of sleeping.
My mind is racing with packing, what I need to do this week, what I want to enjoy my last week in the States, and also dreading the "goodbyes" to come. I've spent the last several months preparing: Saying goodbye to friends in Wake Forest, selling all of my stuff, moving home, buying things I'll need, raising support, packing, taking care of legal things, and talking to people about going. And now...well now it's here. It's upon me...my final week.
It's completely hard to describe the emotions going on. I'd be lying if I didn't say there weren't times that I just want to break down. The thought of saying bye to my parents is something I'm dreading, and I know it's approaching soon. I know after it's over and I'm on the plane I will be okay, even excited to get there, but actually having to say "goodbye" is what I dread. I'm not trying to be overdramatic, and I'm glad to have parents who love and support me as I go. I think that's why it makes it so hard to say goodbye. I love them very much. And they love and support me; on top of that they are my brother and sister in Christ. A bond I'm very thankful for.
So I go from a feeling of dread from thinking about that moment....to feelings of excitment at what's to come....to fear as to all the unknowns and...to joy for not knowing :)
I know a lot of changes are coming very soon, and as I deal with all of these different emotions that "pop" up before me this word continues to confront and comfort me...."Abide". I know it's not the word, but the One whom I abide in that comforts. It calms me and focuses me just to "be" with Christ, to rest in Him...in these moments of overwhelming emotions that fluctuate WAY too much for this girl who doesn't like to cry and isn't the most affectionate (my roommate, Marta, can testify to my lack of hugs! :) ) I'm simply reminded to not be overcome by the emotions, but to seek Christ in each of them. That's a very hard thing to do. Emotions are a very strong thing that can captivate us. We can all testify that. But my sweet Savior has been so gracious to continually and gently press upon me to simply abide in Him. I know He will need to continually remind me as life changes, my sin gets in the way, and things don't go as I think they should.
So, here we are...
The countdown's begun...six more days...and I'll be abiding with Him in every one of them!

2 comments:

  1. You were in Wake Forest again? And you didn't say goodbye or return my jacket? =(

    We all love you Courtney and are so excited about the next few years.

    P.S. Seriously, the jacket's not a big deal. Don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I found your blog from a facebook link (apparently you're speaking at a friends church in Long Beach this week). I'm leaving in a couple months (Lord willing) to live and minister in Ukraine. And I've been to Bosnia! Love it. Jumped off the Stari Most Bridge in Mostar when I was there. I could love doing some sort of Adventure Rec Ministry in Bosnia and Kosova and Montenegro!

    ReplyDelete