Monday, July 11, 2011

Naive to Impossible

"We are too young to realize that certain things are impossible...So we will do them anyway."

-William Wilberforce

"But He said, 'The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.' "

-Luke 18:27


The past 3 and 1/2 years of my life have been spent surrounded by extraordinary people. Many who are training to go into full-time ministry or overseas. Their journey's began long before I knew them but I was able to be apart of this "process" of going. This isn't to say life stopped and ministry wasn't a part of life in seminary, but most in Wake Forest know that it is a "transition" place. Many didn't stay there long (me included) and that's just the way it is.

Since I've been in the "middle" stages of this process though, I think I forgot what the beginning of many of these journey's looked like: the excitement, naivety, newness, fearlessness, "taking on hell with a water pistol" attitude!

In recent days I have been reminded of those beginning stages, and I'm SO thankful to get to witness the Lord working. In just the past few weeks there have been four young people who have come forward and said that they believe the Lord is leading them to serve overseas! I have gotten to speak with 2 of them and hopefully will get to meet with them more before I head out. Now, one lesson I had to learn was that going overseas doesn't make you "special" or a superman type of person. Sometimes we have this notion that believers who live overseas are somehow "above" others. That's not the case AT ALL! (I can vouch for that because I need just as much grace daily as the next person). We are told to love the Lord and to love people. No matter where we are that's what we are called to. Those who go overseas may have different battles because they are in a different culture, can't speak the language, and aren't' familiar with the area, but believers ALL face struggles, trials, and hardships. The thing that remains the same is CHRIST! And that is Who we live in and for, no matter the location.

So these 4 young people have started an incredible journey, but it's not just because they want to go overseas. I think it's awesome that they are being led overseas and I'm not down playing the difficulty or "sacrifice", but what they are experiencing is realizing that they are called to something MUCH bigger than themselves. They are called to love God, proclaim Him to ALL nations, and love those nations! (as we all are) I remember the first time I began to realize that. Such a wonderful naivety! A blindness if you will to the hurdles and "impossibilities" before me. This isn't a bad blindness because it causes us to go forward trusting even when we don't see what's next. A beautiful faith in the One who knows every step of our path. I hope that as these four continue on and they're eyes are opened to the things that seem impossible they will continue to cling to the One who makes all things possible.

In thinking about these four, praying for them, being reminded of my own "beginnings" of this journey, and gratefully remembering MY GOD CAN DO ALL THINGS, this song keeps coming to mind:

"Turn your eyes upon Jesus,

Look full in His wonderful face,

And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,

In the light of His glory and grace"

No comments:

Post a Comment