Thursday, September 29, 2011

Life With A Foreign Family: WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOUR SOCKS!?!

So I know I just posted something...yesterday :) But I was laying in bed last night and I thought about the fact that I really need to start posting more about my "adventures" living with my "family". I've already mentioned a few adjustments, and left out a few others, but I think as someone who is adjusting to a different culture it's good to find the humerous differences between cultures; to be able to laugh and realize that these differences are just that...different. Not necessarily bad, just different. And while some things here make me go, "Why do they do that?" I'm learning that no matter where you live the things we do often come from the fact that yo' momma did it that way, as her momma did, and her momma, and so on and so on... And I've come to one conclusion in my short time here: this American girl wants to be open to learning some lessons from this culture she is engulfed in!
I hope these stories will make you laugh (although some may make you cry), but most importantly I hope they make you see the world a little differently, and even ask yourself "So, why do I do (insert a tradition) here (in my own country)?"
Enjoy the first of many to come :)
So, I've experienced my first sickness here. This past weekend (see previous post) we had 30 something people in a cabin all together...and a "glorious" stomache virus made it's way into our lives. I was one of the lucky ones who got to experience this stomache bug. I started feeling sick the night before we left and the day we were to pack up and leave I woke up (correction! I was woken up) early in the morning to run to the bathroom. So needless to say I wasn't much help cleaning and someone brought me back to town before all the others left. I stayed with some friends and slept most of the day. We text my "family" to let them know I wouldn't be home till Wednesday and all was well.
Well, yesterday I woke up feeling much better, but my stomache was still not my friend. I ate mainly pretzels and Sprite/water Tuesday and Wednesday because anything remotely heavy made my stomache churn. I went to language class and came back. We called my family and told them I was coming home but that I had a stomache virus so I had some pretzels and water and was "good to go". I finished packing my backpack and headed out the door.
LO AND BEHOLD...I got to the bottom of the building, rounded the corner, and who is standing acroos the street (might I add not anywhere near their own apartment) but my "family"! :) I just smiled. (It just means they care about me!) But I do have to say it was rather humorous.
I walked up to them and the dad looked at my feet and said something that sounded like "Soaks?" (He was trying to say "socks")
I smiled and said, "Ne" (No) "Cuc'i" (Home) and pointed to indicate my socks were at the house.
He said something in his language and then looked at me and said, "Soaks...stomak...dobra" (translation: Socks...Stomache...Good) He was trying to explain that I needed socks on my feet to help my stomache get better :)
Internally I busted out laughing! For those of you who know my sarcasm, it was in FULL swing internally. I was thinking, "OF COURSE! SOCKS!" :)
See, people here already think I'm crazy! It's almost October and I'm still wearing flip-flops. Here...it doesn't matter what the temperature is...you dress based on the month. And for those of you who know me well, you know I LOVE flip-flops and HATE close-toed shoes. I will wear flip-flops until my feet are so cold they get frost-bite!
On with the story...so he accepts my answer and we go to the grocery store before heading home. We get home and I put on socks :) No harm in appeasing this.
The first thing I'm asked as I sit down is, "Chai? Good for stomak."
I think, "Tea isn't so bad." So, I tell them chai is fine. Then I'm offered cake (waffer type cookies). Again, not so bad. I can appease this as well (even though I'm actually not one bit hungry).
About a hour later, the mom starts setting the table :) She places a bowl in front of me and I'm thinking, "Really? Does she really want me to eat? Lord, please help me! I don't know what to say to her."
Then she brings out this huge pan filled with chicken, peppers, and potatoes that has been cooked in oil (a staple here). My stomache churns and I think, "There is absolutely NO way!"
She looks at me and uses the phrase she often does, "You ate?" ("You eat?")
I say, "Ne, hvala, Ne. Stomak bole." (No thank you. No. Stomache sick)
She says, "Chicken." and offers a piece of the chicken.
Again I say, "Ne hvala." (With a look of desperation as to say, "please let it be! I don't want to eat")
She shakes her head and says, "Okay. You ate cake (the waffer cookies)."
Whooo! Praise Jesus...I was really concerned there'd be more persistence on her part, but so thankful she let it be :)
...Although the rest of the night I think I was offered chai and cake like 10 more times :)

No comments:

Post a Comment