Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Secrets Out!

So...I have a confession :)
I got a tattoo! Some of you alreaddy know this, and some of you are probably in shoce right now. Others might be thinking "Doesn't surprise me at all!" :) And some may even be a little disappointed.

I got it right before I left to move overseas. My brother (Yes, Luke...I'm telling on you!) offered to pay for it as a going away present and since I've wanted one for about 8 years now, I decided to finally just do it! And I'm so happy I did! I love it. It's of the word "Abide" and it's on my left wrist.


I'm writing about this because the other day my sweet friend, Erin sent me an email. I had told her before leaving about my tattoo. She said in her email that right after telling her about it the chruch she goes to begam a series on John and specifically what it means to abide in Christ. In her email she was asking me what the word "abide" means to me since it was important enough to get put on my body permanently :)


WHAT A GREAT QUESTION!!!


I wanted to share my response to her because it was a great reminder to me (not to why I got the tattoo) but a reminder of the Gospel. I appreciated the question SO much because it made me take the time to write it out and remember what it means to abide in Christ. Such a beautiful thing that I'm continually growing in. So here it goes... what abiding means to me and why it is important enough to have on my body forever:


So a few years back...before seminary, when I went to Kazakhstan, my friend, Jeff, was reading this book called "The Power of the Blood Covenant". Because I love Kay Arthur and was "in love" with studying about covenant I was intrigued by this book. I started reading it and was challenged to search the scriptures in regards to covenant and what things like the Lord's supper, baptism, and our relationship as the Body looks like. Now granted I'm no expert and I'm continually growing in all of those, but the Lord grew my mindset to see Christ in a more personal way. So oftern I knew the Spirit lives in me, but it was like He was there to convict and encourage...the end. The Lord was growing me to see that the Spirit in real within me and I could fellowship with Him and through that I could likewise fellowship with Jesus and the Father.


There was a phrase the author of the book kept using "enjoy Christ". THroughout reading and even after that I've dwelt on what that means. Not just enjoy His blessings or when I'm growing, but enjoy HIM. It's like me saying I want to enjoy (fill in your name). It means I want to know you so personally and intimately that I know everything about you and enjoy every minute of learning it, knowing it, and who you are as you throughout and during my life. That takes ALL of my life. We are constantly growing in what it means to enjoy Christ. And I think that's what He's getting at when He says, "For I am the Vine, you are the branches. If you abide in my and I in you, you will bear much fruit; for without me you can do nothing." He's saying, I am the very life you have. I am your "life" (the real life...spiritual life) as a branch gets it very sustenance, growth, "juice" from the vine, so you get it from me. You do that by abiding (being with, knowing, remaining). It's a simple concept, but because of sin so hard!


However, if we aren't abiding, we aren't bearing fruit. If we aren't abiding, we can do nothing. A branch can't do anything if it's cut off from it's life-source; it can't grow, can't enjoy bearing fruit, knowing the vine, being part of the vine, and sharing with the other branches on the vine. If we don't abide, we don't enjoy knowing, growing, and being with Christ. We don't know the benefits of the other branches (the Body), we don't enjoy bearing fruit. We are "cut off" from the very One who gives us life. SO!!! All that (which hopefully makes sense) to say, to "abide" with Christ means to be with Him FULLY. To grow in enjoying Him, to remain with Him even when things are hard, to grow with the Body because it's part of Him. I don't know how much fruit I'll bear. I don't think that's the focus...I think it's the outcome. We focus on abiding (enjoying and being with Christ) and He produces the fruit (and that doesn't necessarily mean converts). He also tells us that when I'm not abiding...I can do nothing. That's a scary though, but one I've proven true. Because when I try to do things on my own it never turns out good.


Especially in the chaos of leaving home, going to a new place, and adjusting here, I keep remembering two verses. One is John 15:5 about the Vine; the other Psalm 46. The Psalmist talks about all this chaos all around him, the world falling apart basically, and as the end he declares that phrase that so many only know half of so well :) "Be still and know that I am God...." The rest of it though is awesome to me..." I WILL be exalted among the nations, I WILL be exalted in the earth." So when my mind is going crazy, I'm overwhelmed, things seem chaotic, I catch a glimpse of my wrist (it's kind of like Deut. where God gives the Shema, and tells them to bind His law on their hands and foreheads; hands for them to see, foreheads for others to see (BUT I'M NOT GETTING ANYTHING TATTED ON MY FOREHEAD!!!) And I'm reminded of two things: 1. "Court, you don't have to get things figured out, things may be crazy and they may stay crazy, but all Jesus says is "abide". Just be with Him!" 2. "Court, be still and remember who God is. He says He WILL be exalted. He is in control, and He has already overcome. REMEMBER this!"

So my tattoo is doing what it was intended to do: to be the gentle reminder I constantly have with me to not focus on self or circumstances, but on my great covenant partner who simply says to abide with Him.

So, I leave you with this...life is crazy (no matter if you are adjusting to living in a new country, raising kids, working in the same job for 30 years, etc)...that's just the way it is. BUT in the midst of the craziness, are you abiding in the very One who gives Life, or are you still trying to grow fruit on your own?

1 comment:

  1. :) Sorry about all the spelling mishaps! I don't know what's wrong...if it's me or the wierd stuff my computer is doing...we'll blame it on the computer :)

    ReplyDelete