Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Making John Candy Proud

Have you ever seen "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy and Dan Aykroyd? Great movie! I recommend you watch it! This past weekend scenes from this movie continued to go through my mind!
See, we were on an "outing" this past weekend to do some planning.
Picture this: a cabin, decent sized, but with 32 people (with 10 of those being kids) living together for 4 days...talk about a lot of noise, a lot of food, and a WHOLE lot of FUN!!!
We were able to spend time together discussing the things we've seen "work" and the things we've seen fail, and just giving the Lord glory for what He's been doing this past year. For me this was an awesome time to just listen. Since I have just arrived it was so encouraging just to be able to hear from those who have been here a while.
This weekend was also a time to make plans for the upcoming year: to brainstorm, and reflect on needs where we are. Included in all of this we simply got to hang out, get to know each other a little better, share with one another, and just have fun! (And if singing and dancing to Michael Jackson while cooking dinner isn't a good time...I'm not sure what is!)
There have been so many occassions in the process of being here that I have stopped and just thought about where I am and who I am with and just praised God. At one point this weekend I remember looking around the campfire (and no, we did not sing "kum bay ya", though I tried to get is started ;) ) and reflecting on all these people sitting with me from all over the U.S, and then from different countries as well and how we are coming together to live in a completely DIFFERENT country because we all have one thing in common: we know and are known by the Almighty God who has saved us! What an amazing thing!
It was such a good weekend! So cram me in a cabin with this bunch again anytime :) It makes for some GREAT stories, building and continuing some GREAT relationships, and most importantly, getting to praise, dwell on, and glorify a GREAT God!

No comments:

Post a Comment